Clear aligners vs traditional braces
Patients today have a choice when it comes to orthodontic treatment and straightening their teeth - choosing between clear aligners or traditional braces (brackets and wires). Both method of treatment have their advantages in different clinical situations.
At s3 Dental we carry out simple adult short term orthodontics or cosmetic tooth alignment. In simple terms, we treat mild/moderate orthdontic problems (rotations, crowding, spacing) which involve a short course of clear aligners. These clear aligners are able to tip and rotate teeth into a more aesthetic problems, For more complex orthodontic problems, we still recommend a referral to a sepcialist orthodontist. This is especially when larger movements of teeth are required to close larger spaces or widen the dental arch.
For the majority of cosmetic cases, where the patient is mainly concerned about the aligment of their front teeth, short term orthodontics using clear aligners is a great solution. The majority of patients we treat are those who have had orthodontic treatment when they were a teenager, and the teeth have started to move back into their original positions.
- Visibility - the main reason adults choose clear aligners over traditional braces are their discreteness - they appear invisible. Although diminishing there is still a stigma behind wearing braces, therefore it is becoming more popular with teenagers too.
- Removability - clear aligners need to be worn 22 hours a day (only to be removed to eat) otherwise the treatment is unpredictable. This means the teeth will either take longer to move or not move at all. However, removing them briefly enables the patient to keep to their normal oral hygiene routine and effective cleansing between teeth,
- Cost - the cost associated with minor corrections using the Invisalign and Clear Correct systems at S3 Dental are more economical and cost-efficient than a referral to a specialist for traditional braces.
- Eating - by removing the aligners the patient can eat and drink without restrictions or worrying about certain foods damaging the braces.
- Time-Efficient - less appointments to the dentist to change the wires or to tighten the braces - this is because a batch of aligners can be given to the patient to change aligners by themselves every 2 weeks.
If you are considering tooth straightening and would like to know you options, discuss it with your dentist at your next check up or speak to our rception teams to book in for a specific orthodontic consultation.
Online Booking For New Patients
New patients are able to register and book online by clicking the BOOK ONLINE button below.
This will open up a new page in your browser and allow you to register and book your appointment at a convenient time to you. You will also be able to select if you wish to be seen as a Private patient or on the NHS. You will need your mobile telephone and an email address to register and book. Please ensure you receive confirmation via email that your appointment has been booked. In your confirmation email you will also receive a link, which you will need to download and fill in your MEDICAL HISTORY and SOCIAL HISTORY forms. You will need to bring these documents filled in to your dental appointment along with 1 form of photo identification and one recent utility bill as proof of address. If you are on any NHS exemptions, you will need to bring proof of this to your appointment, otherwise you will need to pay for your treatment on the day.
We ask that you attend approximately 15 minutes before your appointment to complete your registration on the day.
Please note that we have a strict failed or missed appointment policy, and if you miss your appointment, you will no longer be able to book any further appointments at S3 Dental.
We look forward to seeing you.
Online Booking For New Patients
Existing patients can now book an appointment for an examination or problem via our online booking facility.
Please click on the link below, where you will be directed to our online booking system.
Once the page loads, be sure to select "existing patient" at the top of the page and then proceed to book your appointment.
Alternatively you can use the CONTACT page and send us a message, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.